Steve's practice focuses on the representation of creative industries, including motion picture production and distribution, television, music, software and computer technology, as well as architecture and design.Steve is admitted to practice in the state of California and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Highlights among his representations include:
- He took over the defense of a copyright infringement claim concerning the architectural design of a prominent Los Angeles residence after prior counsel suffered a substantial loss at trial, and reversed a $6 million verdict against the developers, and then obtained an affirmance of the reversal in the Ninth Circuit.
- He was lead trial counsel for a closely held business in defense of a $12 million claim resulting from the buyout of a significant shareholder, and obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of the company.
- He was lead trial counsel for a leading direct marketing company in defense of a $20 million claim resulting from the termination of its representation agreement for a skin care product, and obtained a complete defense verdict for his client.
- He was lead trial counsel for a major national cable company in defense of patent infringement claims relating to the technology for delivering customer-specific programming to each household, and after obtaining a dismissal of the claims against his client, proceeded to obtain a $5 million trial judgment against the plaintiff based on his client's underlying intellectual property.
- He represented the leading Internet domain operator in its defense of patent infringement claims relating to the implementation of domain names using international character sets (IDNs), obtaining a complete victory in the U.S. District Court's Markman order and a subsequent judgment of non-infringement that paved the way for the adoption of the IDN standard by ICANN.
- He represented the producers of the Academy Award-winning motion picture Million Dollar Baby in their defense of copyright infringement claims relating to the underlying story rights.