Jean-Paul "J-P" Perrault advises business clients, including small businesses, developers, lenders, insurance companies and producers regarding general business, corporate, commercial, insurance regulation and compliance issues. In addition, J-P practices in the areas of construction law and business litigation.
J-P is the managing member of the firm's Baton Rouge office and chairs the firm’s Associate Evaluation Committee where he is responsible for the process by which the firm’s members evaluate associates regarding performance and development and for the communication of those results to the firm’s associates. He was previously the chair of the Baton Rouge office recruiting committee where for seven years he managed and provided oversight for lateral hiring and law student recruitment including the office’s summer law clerk program.
J-P routinely represents clients in all aspects of corporate structure, formation and governance, including financing, joint venturing, asset and stock sales/acquisitions, and divestitures and mergers.
Insurance Regulation and Compliance
- Corporate structure, interaction and closing for start up with $195 million in borrowings via private placement of notes and stock
- Asset sale for U.S. based manufacturer and global distributor of surf products
- Assisted several clients in large capital financing transactions under Reg D accredited investor registration exemptions
J-P frequently represents insurance companies, producers and lenders in the structuring of credit insurance policies and programs and related products and services in addition to form, rate and other filings as well as mergers and acquisitions of regulated insurance entities.
- Structure, advice and consultation as sole outside counsel for Detroit Big 3 manufacturer's initial foray into aftermarket sales of ancillary products including motor vehicle service contracts, guaranteed automobile protection, tire and wheel protection and the like
- Structure, advice and consultation as main outside counsel for Japanese Big 3 manufacturer's captive finance company's restructure of credit insurance and guaranteed automobile protection processes from inception through cancellation, refund and run off responsibility
- Co-counsel in purchase of a national vehicle warranty and service contract company, including change of control advice and approvals
- Restructured entire service contract documentation for a German auto maker’s national program
- Created a 50-state warranty program for heavy trucking manufacturer
- Assisted in preparing a credit insurance policy, along with all processes and documentation for statewide credit insurance business
- Assisted with national product implementation, development, and sales for major credit insurance agency
- Multiple 50 state research projects regarding credit insurance and related ancillary collateral protection products
J-P represents clients in the areas of construction contract negotiation, contractor licensing and compliance as well as private and public works issues.
- Negotiation and documentation of $95 million construction contract and $3.5 million architect contract in context of a $200 million total project for new casino development
- Successfully represented owner/developer in contractor lien disputes with more than a dozen lien creditors on 100+ acre major retail development
- Successful representation of out of state contractor in administrative action by the State Licensing Board for Contractors regarding hiring of unlicensed contractors on a $10+ million contract
J-P represents clients in the area of business litigation in selected matters related to ownership and management of closely held businesses and construction litigation.
- Co-counsel in a $95 million reverse bid protest forcing a bidder to honor its awarded public bid
- Successfully represented minority shareholders in a closely held bank holding company to defeat management-offered amendments to reduce minority protections in the holding company structure