Roger advises clients on complex intellectual property matters including software and other licensing, open-source technology, cloud computing, and trademarks. He also assists client with major employment issues, working with companies ranging from multi-nationals to family-owned businesses.
Roger combines his expertise from his seventeen-year legal career as senior counsel at global communications and electronics leader Motorola, Inc. with his decades of experience as a commercial business lawyer. He provides sound legal advice, an innovative approach, and strategic business acumen that often includes alternate solutions that go well beyond the immediate problem at hand. He is a frequent writer and speaker on issues in the forefront of technology, intellectual property and employment law.
Roger represents, as outside general counsel, a number of public companies in diverse fields, including optical components, semi-conductors, professional services and high-tech manufacturing. He negotiates multifaceted procurement and distribution agreements for licensing and sales.
With an eye on the total well-being of his corporate clients, he handles employment disputes involving harassment, discrimination and retaliation as well as managing workplace risks through non-competes and other avenues to protect a company’s IP.
- Roger provided legal counsel and contract negotiations for a comprehensive dictation, transcription and document production services contract for a major healthcare system including voice, dictation, and remote applications for doctors. The new services consolidated four hospitals utilizing different procedures and into one set of applications.
- Roger provided legal advice for an international semi-conductor company’s renewal of a Microsoft Enterprise agreement for a leading integrated circuit manufacturer in a contract that consisted of more than ten integrated sets of terms covering on-site and hosted service offerings. The primary license rights pertained to US operations.
- On behalf of a world leader in high performance signal processing solutions, Roger successfully negotiated a complex cloud technology contract to migrate the company’s entire US e-mail service to a major cloud service, creating a robust e-mail platform to support thousands of employees. Critical issues included safeguards for personal information, compliance with Mass. Data Security Regulations, and auditing requirements for vendors.
- Roger represented a firm client in the healthcare field in the successful negotiation of a separation agreement and executive termination with a highly visible employee.
- Acting as outside counsel on behalf of a major health insurer in its effort to replace the sourcing vendor for the majority of its IT functions, Roger negotiated terms of a master agreement with the new supplier for IT services in a multi-million dollar, five-year contract.
- Roger spearheaded extensive negotiations with a nationally recognized computer giant to update three major contracts that represented the cornerstone of its IT infrastructure systems. Key issues included information security, background checks, service-level requirements and highly negotiated limits of liability in the multi-million contract.
- Roger represented a hospitality group in a successful multi-stage reduction-in-force effort, including complex components of severance and stay-bonus agreements, which was designed to restructure the company.
- Representing a major healthcare institution, Roger negotiated a set of terms in a software systems license agreement for long-range planning that involved intricate issues including liability for intellectual property indemnity, breach of confidential information, and damage caps.
- Roger represented a print-services company in an OSHA investigation in which he succeeded in mitigating the adverse consequences for the company while ensuring the safety requirements were met to protect the 100-person workforce.
- Roger represented a technology client in its acquisition of technology which was key to a new-product launch in a multi-million dollar deal that included a complex long-term manufacturing agreement and an escrow of source code.