Pegalis & Erickson, LLC
Stephen E. Erickson is a founding partner of the law firm of Pegalis and Erickson, LLC, a firm which is consistently ranked in the top echelon of medical malpractice law firms in the nation. Erickson has earned his reputation as a highly skilled litigator during 35 years as a practicing attorney by obtaining record-setting multi-million dollar verdicts for his clients in New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Wisconsin. He has won the third highest jury verdict ever awarded in the State of New York for a medical negligence claim.
Mr. Erickson has also obtained both the highest and the third highest verdicts in New York for medical negligence during a birth resulting in an infant suffering an Erb’s Palsy injury. His stellar record as a trial attorney includes the following notable successes:
· A jury verdict of $114 million dollars for a young mother who suffered extensive brain damage as a result of improper intubation
· A $10 million dollar verdict for failing to perform a timely cesarean section causing the infant to sustain extensive brain damage
· A $10 million dollar verdict for a woman who lost both legs due to a failure to timely diagnose impairment of vascular circulation
· A $6 million dollar verdict for a rural North Carolina boy who suffered significant brain injury due to delay in performing a cesarean section
· A $9 million dollar settlement for an infant who suffered significant physical and mental impairment due to improper prenatal care
· A $7.5 million dollar settlement for an infant who suffered significant brain injury due to premature birth, as a result of failure to perform a timely cervical cerclage
· A $3.2 million dollar verdict won for a rural Wisconsin infant suffering from Cerebral Palsy due to a failure to properly monitor for signs of infection
Mr. Erickson’s main concentration as a trial attorney is in medical malpractice and he is known for his engaging ability in the courtroom and his devastating cross-examination of opposing experts. He has also led his firm in successfully negotiating multi-million dollar settlements involving car accidents, bus accidents, and product liability cases. Due to his extraordinary trial record, Mr. Erickson is noted each year in Best Lawyers in America®, and New York Super Lawyers®. He has also been noted as a Top 10 Civil Trial Attorney on Long Island, NY.
Mr. Erickson is admitted to the State Bars in New York and New Jersey, as well as the federal courts for the Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, and District of New Jersey. He received his Juris Doctor from New York Law School, with honors. He was a member of the New York Law School Law Review based on outstanding academic performance. He and his fellow alumni and partner, Steven Pegalis, are significant supports of their alma mater. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and a member of the American Association for Justice. August 2014