Anthony J. Dain has represented clients in more than 80 jury trials,
successfully representing international companies, financial
institutions, federal agencies, tribal governments, public utilities,
businesses and clients. Anthony’s practice focuses on litigation in the
areas of intellectual property, financial institutions, white-collar
crime, environmental, commercial litigation and Native American issues,
as well as alternative dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration. He
has experience representing more than 100 matters before state and
federal courts of appeal, and has 14 published appellate cases. Anthony
is licensed to practice in all California courts, the Federal District
of Arizona, the Ninth and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal, the U.S.
Supreme Court, as well as U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Obtained patent infringement verdict of $13.5M, after a three week
jury trial in the Central District of California, involving polyimide
film used in the flexible printed circuit boards of mobile phones.
- Obtained mid seven figure verdict in first phase of multi-phase,
consolidated trial, representing ambulatory surgical centers against
several insurance coverers. After 17 day trial, and Defendants writ to
the Court of Appeal the Appellate Court issued a published decision
affirming the lower courts findings and judgment.
- Obtained patent infringement verdict of $5.5M, plus 10% royalty on
behalf of manufacturer of polymer fibers, against importer and
distributor of infringing products. After a two week jury trial in the
Northern District of Texas, the jury returned a verdict finding the
patents infringed and valid and rejecting defendants’ claims of
- Obtained $2.9M judgment for distributor of automobile after-market
products, after 4 week trial and appeal in trademark, false advertising
and false patent marking case.
- Obtained $1.73M toxic tort verdict after 5 week jury trial.
Plaintiffs, owners of a family business, were exposed to pathogens in
treated sewage water after defendants’ water district and contractors
misconnected an irrigation line to a tap water line.
- Represented Federal Regulator in Director and Officer investigation of
failed financial institution, negotiating settlement of $7.9M.
- Defended ice delivery company in patent infringement preliminary
injunction in Arizona District Court. In this “bet the company”
evidentiary hearing, the trial court construed the claims and found the
company’s machine did not infringe the patent.
- Obtained jury verdict on behalf of plaintiff in malicious prosecution lawsuit after two week trial in Malibu, CA.
- Defended wireless telephone carrier in Eastern District of Virginia
(“rocket docket”). Plaintiff was requesting $170M for alleged
infringement of wireless modem adaptors. After three week jury trial,
jury rendered verdict of non-infringement and invalidity of the patent.
- Represented floor cleaning equipment manufacturer in defense of two
week patent jury trial in Southern District of California. Patent claims
currently rejected by USPTO following reexamination.
- Obtained judgment of acquittal in jury trial on criminal charges brought against German exporter.
Obtained defense jury verdict on behalf of CPR Savers and First Aid
Supplies in suit brought by Express Companies, Inc., alleging theft of
trade secrets and interference with Express' contract with Yahoo.
- Defended a tribal development corporation in jury trial in Atlanta, GA, involving allegations of breach of contract.
- Obtained $1.38M jury verdict on behalf of the historic US Grant Hotel
against its former operator; also obtained verdict for US Grant Hotel
against the cross-complaint of operator seeking $5M for breach of
- Multi-million dollar recovery for receiver of failed financial
institutions against officers and directors, as well as banker's bond
and directors and officers insurance carriers, for wrongful acts
committed in commercial and multi-family residential lending.
- Defended vacuum equipment manufacturer in complex trade secret
litigation in California Southern District Court. Case settled favorably
on first day of trial, following successful rulings on in-limine
- Represented bank executives in criminal and civil case, obtaining
published decisions in both California Court of Appeals and Supreme
Court on novel state and federal constitutional issues.
- Represented two energy utilities in Nox emission patent litigation in
the Southern District of California obtaining damages and royalties in
excess of $1M and a royalty free license to use more than 60 US and
- Defended an institutional lender in CERCLA litigation using the Asset
Conservation, Lender Liability and Deposit Insurance Protection Act.
Defended Jan San Company in patent infringement law suit brought by
industry leader. Following successful invalidation of the patent,
obtained confidential settlement in counterclaim for anti-trust
- Defended a public utility in solar energy patent litigation in the
District Court of Arizona and the Central District of California -
plaintiff claimed more than $2.5B in worldwide damages.
- Represented a patent holder and its exclusive licensee in a jury trial
in the Central District of California obtaining damages and a permanent
injunction against the infringer - the infringer settled, post
judgment, agreeing to pay several million dollars in past damages and
- Obtained a defense verdict for a biotech company in trade dress and
unfair competition litigation in the Central District of California,
involving the distribution of horizontal electrophoresis devices.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for an internet company involving issues of trademark and copyright infringement.