Steven N. Berger has focused his career on resolution of complex business disputes through effective representation of clients in bankruptcy or other reorganization proceedings, loan workouts, litigation and business transactions. He co-founded the firm in 1999 after gaining experience as an associate and partner at two of Arizona’s largest law firms. He has extensive experience in representing parties involved with troubled loans or troubled businesses, and has represented lenders, lessors, business owners, investors, asset purchasers, creditor committees and other parties in bankruptcy and reorganization cases. Steve has more than 30 years’ experience in representing clients throughout Arizona, is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Arizona, and before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a long-time Arizona resident and business owner, providing him with added perspective in his work on Arizona based issues.
Lenders, banks, borrowers, real estate brokers/developers, landlords, investors, owners of closely-held businesses, and owners of troubled businesses.
Advertising and media
Asset based lenders
Hard money lenders
Hospitality and restaurants
Printing and publishing
Private education and preschools
Retail and shopping center owners
- Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Conference (2010- Present)
- State Bar of Arizona Bankruptcy Section Chair/Member
- State Bar of Arizona CLE Committee Chair/Member
- University of Arizona Rogers College of Law - Board of Visitors (1995 - Present)
- Arizona Bankruptcy American Inn of Court – Charter member & V.P. (2010-2012)
- BNA Bankruptcy Law Reporter, Member - Advisory Board
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Member
- Turnaround Management Association - Member
- ABA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section - Member
- Law Clerk for Hon. Thomas Tang, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (1984-1985)
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy, 2013-Present
- Southwest Super-Lawyers®, 2007-2011
- Southwest Super-Lawyers®, Best 50 Arizona Lawyers, 2011
- The Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2003-2004
- AV-Rated by Martindale Hubbell®
- Certified in Business Bankruptcy by American Board of Certification
- Representation of the State of Arizona in its takeover, wind-down, and transition to a new provider of the entity responsible for management of the mental health care system for Maricopa County.
- Successful restructuring through Chapter 11 of a telecommunications related business in which the shareholders were previously deadlocked and the business's very survival had been jeopardized.
- Successful negotiation and implementation for a lender client of a multi-million dollar loan to a farming operation during the borrower's Chapter 11 case.
- Representation of a creditors' committee in the Chapter 11 case of a primary school and nursery school holding company, resulting in the successful sale and spin-off of schools as going concerns, and the prosecution of actions against corporate insiders.
- Representation of a bankruptcy trustee in the successful negotiation of a transition plan among multiple parties including the City of Phoenix, secured lenders, resident groups, and creditors regarding the closing and liquidation of a senior housing project.
- “Bankruptcy Law and Procedure, a Guide for the Paralegal,” Co-Author
- Equality Arizona – Human Rights Individual Award 2011
- Friends of the Phoenix Library
- Anti-Defamation League
- American Jewish Committee
- Community AIDS Council
- Arizona AIDS Project
- Maricopa Community College Foundation, “Out & Up” LGBT Scholarship Fund
- Lambda Legal