Mr. Anderson’s insurance defense practice involves the representation of policyholders, insurance companies, and self-insured corporations. Mr. Anderson provides comprehensive legal services in all aspects of insurance-related litigation, arbitration, subrogation, risk management, and alternative dispute resolution. In addition, Mr. Anderson has extensive experience in providing coverage analyses and representing and advising insurance companies regarding declaratory judgment actions and bad faith claims. Mr. Anderson has tried over sixty cases, with many complex matters extending two to four weeks or more in length. Some recent examples include:
- Multiple successful outcomes in personal and commercial suits with injuries ranging from traumatic brain injury to damages arising out of a National Hot Rod Association sanctioned drag racing competition (four week trial in which verdict was less than fifty percent of “rock bottom” last demand by plaintiffs).
- Numerous homeowners and business-related claims spanning the gamut of ski-injury and farm-related matters to more traditional slip/trip and falls.
- Defense verdict on proximate causation after admitting liability and plaintiff undergoing five shoulder surgeries.
- Four week trial resulting in a defense verdict in which clients’ horses separated from a stagecoach and stampeded through a crowd, injuring eighteen people and resulting in a payment to the injured parties in excess of $3,000,000.00 by co-defendants.
- Participated in hundreds of mediations successfully extricating insureds and clients from costly and time consuming litigation.
In the area of complex commercial litigation, Mr. Anderson has considerable experience representing individuals and business entities in a wide variety of legal matters, including disputes relating to contract breaches, antitrust matters, non-compete covenants, and class action claims. Mr. Anderson’s past experience includes:
- Two month trial resulting in verdict of $1.00 in lost profits being awarded after plaintiffs’ experts testified such losses were in the range of $15-100 million.
- Successful resolution of class action matter involving over 100 homes in two subdivisions in which plaintiffs’ initial demand was in excess of $10 million.
- Successfully handled business litigation matters which involved multi-million dollar claims and in excess of 500,000-1,000,000 documents and required extensive development of a paralegal and associate team to scan, review, and incorporate those documents into AJH’s computer software programs designed to facilitate topical, witness, and OCR searches of multiple databases.
In the area of construction law, Mr. Anderson has represented hundreds of clients involved in construction disputes ranging from private residences to complex construction projects. He has handled trials, arbitrations, mediations, and other matters in Utah, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington on behalf of his construction-related clients. He is on the approved panel counsel list of all carriers writing E & O insurance for Idaho’s design professional community, and represents numerous architects and engineers and private construction firms, as well. Mr. Anderson’s knowledge and experience in representing contractors, subcontractors, owners, developers, and design professionals provides our clients with the unique depth of experience necessary to analyze, defend, and efficiently resolve the entire range of construction disputes. Mr. Anderson’s experience in this area includes:
- Successfully defending his first design professional malpractice trial in 1982, with a jury verdict in excess of $1 million dollars against the co-defendant subcontractor.
- Has tried several other A & E cases since that time, all with a defense verdict outcome, with the most recent being a five week trial in Spokane, Washington, resulting in a defense verdict against the heirs and estate of an individual who fell into an industrial fan, for which plaintiffs’ counsel never reduced the settlement demand below $7,000,000.
- Reached a successful resolution of a case involving complex design issues on a multi-million dollar bridge on the Interstate running through Boise, Idaho.Obtained two summary judgments on behalf of an engineering company, both of which rulings were upheld by the Idaho Court of Appeals and Idaho Supreme Court.
- Recently completed a four week trial in which a homeowner, who had spent more than $2.3 million dollars “repairing” a home, was limited to less than 50% of that total in terms of a verdict, with 2/3 of the liability attributed to a sub-contractor.