Richard Furlong has represented labor organizations for over 25 years. His work has covered all aspects of traditional labor law, including:
- organizing drives
- arbitration and agency hearings
- negotiations and all related court proceedings
Mr. Furlong’s experience also includes counseling unions on non-traditional activities, including strategic campaigns, creative use of public relations, and other tactics geared toward empowering workers. His knowledge and experience have drawn the attention of many attorneys and labor specialists, who frequently call upon Mr. Furlong to be a lecturer. However, his true passion is exploring—with his union clients—how to use labor law offensively to leverage workers’ power.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, adjunct law professor for bridge courses, 2000-03
- Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations, presenter of numerous courses and seminars, 1985-2003
- Numerous individual seminars for union leaders and members
Below are comments several clients have provided regarding their experience working with Mr. Furlong.
Organizations are listed for identification purposes only.
- “Rich Furlong is, bar none, the best union attorney the Painters’ Union has ever had the privilege of
retaining. His knowledge of labor law, his creativity and his passion have time and again been the reasons
this Union has prevailed against huge odds.”
- Dan Boody, Business Manager/Secretary-Treasurer
Painters District Council No. 4
- “Until we hired Rich, we never really appreciated the power we had negotiating with Cornell University.
Rich’s knowledge of the law, coupled with his experience negotiating, turned the power equation around
in our favor.”
- David Marsh, President
Courtland-Tompkins Counties Building & Construction Trades Council
- “We have retained Rich on several large and complex matters and have always gotten outstanding
results. He shines in the most difficult cases.”
- Dave Succamore, Executive Director
Professional Lacrosse Players' Association
- “Years ago, when I was Business Agent with Operating Engineers Local 17, we were challenged by some
notorious union busting outfits who boasted of their track records crushing unions. Rich Furlong and the
Local 17 leadership and membership put together very creative game plans that stopped the union-busters
dead in their tracks. It wasn’t easy, but we prevailed and the union-busters have stayed out of Buffalo
- Tom Hopkins, Business Manager/Business Agent (retired)
Operating Engineers, Local No. 17
- “Rich was a professor of mine in law school. His course on Strategic Alternative Campaigns aroused a
passion in me to seek the presidency of my union, the New York State Troopers PBA. I won the election
and I believe that course truly helped me understand that the ‘nothing can be done’ crowd is dead wrong.
We transformed the PBA into a powerful, creative force, using many of the cutting-edge tactics I learned in
- Dan De Federicis, President (retired)
New York State Troopers PBA
- “We are a union of lawyers. When looking to hire a lawyer a few years ago, we asked around the legal
community for recommendations. One name kept coming up: Rich Furlong. He has worked with us
negotiating three (3) collective bargaining agreements and we have never looked back.”
- Roland Hayes, President
Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo Attorneys’ Union
- “I hired Rich Furlong as my lacrosse agent in 2008. I have been so impressed with his negotiating skills and
the results he has achieved on my behalf as a player that I have since retained his firm and him to review
endorsement contracts, business ventures, etc. Rich combines tenacity with professionalism and the
results speak for themselves. I would not consider using any other agent.”
- Casey Powell
Captain, 2006 United States National Team, World Lacrosse Championships;
Major Lacrosse League All-Time Scoring Leader;
4 Time All-American, Syracuse University.
- “When I was drafted I received great advice from a teammate: a player needs to focus on maintaining
peak performance and not be distracted by contract negotiations. So, I hired Rich to do my negotiating.
Whether I was playing for Portland, Edmonton or Philadelphia I have been able to maintain my focus on
playing lacrosse because Rich did the bargaining with the front offices. And the deals he put together have
creatively advanced my interests. I don’t miss an opportunity to recommend to other players that they
retain Rich as their agent.”
- Brodie Merrill
Named “Best Lacrosse Player in the World” -Inside Lacrosse, Jan. 2007;
Named “Best Defender” and “All World Defenseman”, 2006 World Lacrosse Championships;
All-Pro, 2005-2012, Major Lacrosse League;
All-Star, 2006-2012, National Lacrosse League.