Recognized as one of the top lawyers in the investment management field, Michael Tannenbaum is a multi-faceted business lawyer who advises on:
- Transactions: Private equity and portfolio M&A
- Emerging ideas: Venture capital, early stage angel investing and later round financing
- Investments: Hedge fund, private fund and individual managed accounts
- Regulatory: SEC and NFA, FINRA, cross-border compliance coordination compliance
- Wealth management: Family offices, charitable foundations and endowments’ assistance, governance, investment due diligence, co-investment rights and side letter negotiation
- US legal: US side of complex cross border matters
- Dispute resolution: Arbitration and mediation
Michael brings 40 years of experience to each matter. A portion of his work is cross-border, inbound US work from non-US sources such as non-US firms that need US advice for their clients, where we serve as the “US Office” for non-US firms. Another portion of Michael’s work is providing legal guidance to family office and ultra-high-net-worth individuals on their investments. This includes document reviews, due diligence, formation of blockers and side letter and co-investment right negotiation.
Outside of work, Michael founded and is president of Partners in Hearing, Inc. an IRS 501c3 public charity whose mission is to assist profoundly deaf children who have cochlear implants get the supplemental care they need to be successful in the mainstream. For his pastime, Michael collects Marklin electric trains (HO scale), is sporadically working towards a certificate in horticulture at the NY Botanical Gardens, and struggles with golf.
- Advised a large non US based family office located in Geneva and Singapore with its investment into a US-based technology company in Boston, successfully negotiated complex shareholders rights and various ancillary agreements, with a focus on anti-dilution.
- Conducted due diligence review of several private equity and venture investments which led to creating efficient tax blockers, negotiating co-investment rights and side letters that were crucial to the investor.
- Assisted in a complex JAMS mediation and arbitration with regard to placement agent fees allegedly due from a multi-billion dollar investment manager as a result of a successful capital raise.
- Advised a promising tech start up platform on its angel financing and Series A round financing, including details convertible preferred and warrant term sheet negotiation, document preparation and related advice.
- Assisted in the formation of cross-border private equity platform, private placement memo and related offering materials, addressing SEC issues and the like.
- Assisted in a complex and aggressive SEC investigation into the activities of a registered investment manager.
- Served as Chair of arbitration panel with regard to a complex commodities and futures dispute among numerous NFA members.
- Serve as Co-Trustee of a substantial trust established to benefit the needs of a family with a special needs child.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice Chair, ABA Subcommittee on Hedge Funds 2008-2012
- Board Member and Membership Officer, International Bar Association, Asset Management and Investment Funds Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Hedge Fund Association
- Connecticut Hedge Fund Association
- Fellow, Greenwich Roundtable
- Organizing Committee and Officer, Globalisation of Investment Funds