John P. Desmond is a shareholder and the firm's Reno Litigation group leader. He focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation and appellate work. He regularly represents and counsels clients in commercial and business litigation matters involving contract disputes, buy/sell agreements and disputes over intellectual property. He has also represented physician groups in regard to compliance and contractual matters. His representation of clients includes a significant number of matters before the Nevada Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a full service securities broker dealer firm in a case of first impression in which the Nevada Supreme Court recognized the enforceability of arbitration clauses in the employment context. Kindred v. A.G. Edwards, 116 Nev. 405,996 P.2d 903 (2000)
- Obtained dismissal of a false claims complaint seeking damages of nearly $100 million, the first case argued under Nevada’s qui tam statute, before the Nevada Supreme Court. International Game Technology, Inc. v. Second Judicial District Court, State of Nevada, 127 P.3d 1088 (Nev. 2006)
- Represented client in a case of first impression to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals involving the First Amendment rights of anonymous bloggers on the Internet (2010).
- Obtained a judgment for the largest gas station and convenience store operator in Nevada in excess of $100 million on claims for fraud and misrepresentation after an eight-week trial, with the court awarding both compensatory and punitive damages.
- Successfully represented a large manufacturer on a certified question to the Nevada Supreme Court as to whether Nevada recognizes a cause of action for medical monitoring in products liability actions.
- Exxon Mobil
- Google, Inc.
- State of Nevada
- Cal PERS
Before joining the firm, Mr. Desmond was a shareholder at the Nevada law firm of Jones Vargas for many years.