Jim Richardson handles high-stakes commercial trials and complex business litigation, including large multiparty cases and significant arbitrations.
Jim is nationally recognized in Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers in America© and has been named to the state's Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyers® on multiple occasions by Thomson Reuters. He holds three active Board Certifications, one by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial Law, and two by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Trial Law and Civil Practice Advocacy.
In 2020, Jim was elected to a two-year term as President of the National Board of Trial Advocacy, the largest private organization for attorney Board Certification in the United States, offering board certification in eight practice areas, including Civil Trial Law, Complex Litigation, and Patent Litigation.
In addition to serving as NBTA's current national President, Jim has served on the NBTA national Board of Directors since 2016 and is President of the NBTA Austin-Area Chapter.
Jim is named to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100® and is a Member and Fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has served on numerous committees of the State Bar of Texas and is a frequent course director and presenter on topics of Trial Advocacy and Evidence.
Practice Areas: Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Fraud, Breach of Contract, Real Estate Litigation, Business Torts and Technology, Construction Litigation, Professional Liability, Employment, Environmental Litigation, Negligence, Complex Divorces and Property Claims, and Trusts and Estates.
Honors and Distinctions
- President, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2020-2022
- Best Lawyers in America® by BL Rankings, Commercial Litigation, 2012-2021
- Top 50 Super Lawyers®, Central and West Texas Region, by Thomson Reuters, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers®, The National Trial Lawyers
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms® by BL Rankings, 2021
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2012-present
- Martindale-Hubbell/LexisNexis Judicial, AV®Preeminent™ 5.0-5
- Editor-in-Chief, Tulsa Law Review
- Outstanding Law Graduate, Oklahoma Bar Association
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Civil Practice Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- President, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2020-2022); Executive Committee (2016-present); Board of Directors (2015-present); Civil Trial Advocate (2002-present); Civil Practice Advocate (2011-present); State Coordinator–Texas (2013-present)
- State Bar of Texas, Rules of Evidence Committee (1996-98); Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee (2000-04); Panel Chair, District 9A Grievance Committee (2002-03) (Member from 1997)
- Austin Bar Association, Past-Chair, Civil Litigation Section (2016); Chair (2015-16); Vice-Chair (2013-14); Treasurer (2012-13); Secretary (2011-12); Member, Board of Directors (1997-99)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys (2015-present)
- Special Counsel to the Attorney General of Texas (1981-82)
- Master of the Bench, American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter (2005-present);
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (1999-present)
- Founding Life Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation (2005-present)
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Presenter, 15th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook, "Which Cases to Try," Presented by the Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (Oct. 2019)
- Course Director/Moderator, Civil Trial Workshop, National Board of Trial Advocacy, All Star Conferences, New Orleans, Louisiana (Nov. 2018)
- Presenter, 13th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®, Trial Advocacy Skills, Presented by the Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (Nov. 2017)
- Course Director/Presenter, Essential Trial Advocacy Workshop®, presented by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, hosted by Jackson Walker LLP (October 2017)
- Co-Chair/Moderator, 12th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook® 2016 (additionally co-chaired 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®)
- Presenter, Texas Lawyers and the Disciplinary Process (2014)
- Presenter, Litigation and Advertising Issues (Nov. 2009)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2009)
- Ask a Super Lawyer,” Automated Camera Defenses, Texas Monthly (Oct. 2006)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2006)
- Co-Chair and Presenter, National Business Institute, How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Texas, Austin, Texas (2002)
- Panelist, Review of Litigation/Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Conflicts of Interest Symposium: Cutting Edge Conflicts of Interest Hypotheticals, Austin, Texas (1997)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Austin Bar Association, Offering and Excluding Evidence in Commercial Trials, Austin, Texas (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Sanctions and Alternatives to Sanctions, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Texas Rules of Evidence: Predicates and Exclusions for Selected Rules, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Fort Worth, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, San Antonio, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Panelist, Houston Board of Realtors, Dual Agency and Broker Liability, Houston, Texas (1986)
- Nova Health Systems, Preparing for the Jury Trial, San Antonio, Texas (1986)
- Author, Whom Do You Represent? Knowing Your Principals – Accidental Agency (co-author), 39 Texas Realtor 6 (Feb. 1986)
- Panelist, Texas Association of Realtors, Litigation Tips for the Unwary, Austin, Texas (1985)
- Author, Helicopteros Nacionales v. Hall: Clarifying the Limits of Personal Jurisdiction, 48 Texas Bar J. 651 (1985)
Representative Verdicts and Settlements:
- Lead counsel in prosecuting fraud and construction defect claims related to sale of a 350,000 square-foot building, confidential settlement reached.
- Multiparty lead counsel in United States Superfund litigation including claims under the Clean Water Act related to creosote mining operation, confidential settlement reached.
- Prosecuted claims against air cargo carrier for breach of lease and jet fuel contract, confidential settlement reached on the first day of trial.