Eric David focuses his practice in business litigation, First Amendment law, and media and communications law. He has advocated on behalf of media and broadcast clients in a variety of First Amendment and newsgathering matters, including disputes over the North Carolina Public Records Act and access to public meetings.
A seasoned litigator, Eric represents businesses and individuals in high-stakes litigation in federal and state court, including the North Carolina Business Court. He has experience in a wide range of matters, including securities litigation, corporate governance disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and claims brought under the North Carolina Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Eric also represents companies and individuals in a variety of intellectual property disputes, including copyright and trademark litigation and trade secrets claims.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina’s "Legal Elite" in Young Guns category (2013-2014); for Litigation (2017-2020)
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation (2014-2020) and Civil Rights/First Amendment (2012-2013)
- President, Board of Directors, Lucille Hunter Elementary School Foundation, 2017-2019
- Regional Scholar Selection Committee, The Morehead-Cain Foundation, 2012–2015
- President, Board of Directors, Society for the Preservation of Historic Oakwood, 2017
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Society for the Preservation of Historic Oakwood, 2014-2016
- Rules Advisory Committee, North Carolina Business Court, 2015
- Council Member, Constitutional Rights and Responsibilities Section, North Carolina Bar Association, 2014-2017
Publications & Media
- Co-presenter, "Minding Others' Business: Navigating Gossip, Defamation, and Employee Use of Social Media," Association of Corporate Counsel meeting, November 2019; Geneva Group International Southeast Chapter Continuing Legal Education Webinar, April 2020
- Presenter, "Trash Talk: Gossip and Defamation on Social Media," Guilford Merchants Association's Digital Marketing Institute, July 24, 2019
- Co-Author, Survey of North Carolina Privacy Law and Related Claims Against the Media, Media Law Resource Center 50-State Survey, Media Privacy and Related Law, 2015-present