Ed West has a breadth of experience in the areas of white-collar criminal, civil, and administrative law. An experienced advocate in both state and federal courts, he also routinely handles matters involving federal and state agencies and licensing boards. In addition to his experience in private practice, Ed served almost two years as chief operating officer and general counsel for a small government contractor.
Ed represents businesses and individuals under investigation for or charged with violating criminal laws. He has handled criminal and regulatory matters before a myriad of federal and state agencies, including the IRS, FBI, EPA, US Department of Homeland Security, and NC Department of Revenue, among others. Ed also represents businesses in a wide range of litigation matters in state and federal courts.
Ed is also skilled in data security and privacy issues. He advises clients on data breach responses and has particular experience counseling professional practices, including law firms, in this area.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2018-2020), Tax Litigation and Controversy (2017-2020), and Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2019-2020)
- Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Criminal Defense (2015-2019)
- Recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) for Criminal Defense (2018-2019)
- Chair (2018-present), Vice-Chair (2017-2018), Member (2015-present), Board of Advisors, Wilson Center for Leadership in the Public Interest, Hampden-Sydney College
- Member, Southeastern Economic Development Commission (2013-2017
- )Chair (2016-2017); Member (2013-2017), Board of Directors, The Arts Council of Wilmington and New Hanover County
- Chairman, Board of Directors, New Horizons Elementary School (2013-2015)
- Member, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2011-present)
- Past Chair and Council Member, Criminal Justice Section, North Carolina Bar Association (2006-2007)
- Past Member, National Association of Corporate Directors (2009-2010)
- Past Council Member, Corporate Counsel Section, North Carolina Bar Association (2009-2010)
- Past Member, New Hanover County Schools Advisory Council on Education of Children with Special Needs (2008-2010)
Presentations & Media
- Presenter, "Criminal Tax Investigations and Prosecutions," J. Nelson Young Tax Institute, April 2019
- Presenter, "Legal Crisis Management," UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, February 2019
- Presenter, "The Relationship Between Accountants and Attorneys in Civil and Criminal Tax Fraud Investigations," 2018 Fraud and A&A Conference, October 2018
- Presenter, "The Lawyer as Crisis Manager," UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, February 2018
- Co-presenter (with Julia Ambrose), "Ethics Update for In-House Counsel: Litigation, Investigations and Management," Association of Corporate Counsel event, December 2017 (repeated for ACC Triad Chapter, March 2018)
- Panelist, "Dealing with Co-Defendants and Related Topics," Federal Criminal Practice Seminar, Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel, November 2017
- Panelist, "Jack Nicklaus, Trial Strategy, and Focus Groups...with Apologies to Bill Murray," Federal Criminal Practice Seminar, Federal Criminal Justice Act Panel, November 2016