Andy Scherffius currently serves as Of Counsel Attorney for Conley Griggs Partin LLP. He enjoys a national reputation for his aviation accident practice. His representation on behalf of plaintiffs in these matters includes both commercial and private aircraft disasters.
Mr. Scherffius has handled approximately fifty aviation cases in the past twenty years. Included among the many cases he has handled are the following:
- Valujet/Florida Everglades crash in which he represented numerous families of victims and served as a member of the plaintiffs steering committee which organized and directed the litigation on behalf of all plaintiffs.
- ASA/Carrollton in which he represented the family of the pilot of a plane which crashed shortly after take off in a field near Carrollton, Georgia, due to a mechanical failure
- ASA /Brunswick in which he represented the family of a passenger on board this flight which crashed near Brunswick, Georgia, and in which Senator John Tower and a NASA astronaut were among the passengers killed due to the metallurgical failure of a part which resulted in a failure of one of the engines.
- Mr. Scherffius also served as Chairman of the plaintiffs steering committee in connection with this crashA midair plane collision in which a settlement was reached involving the death of four individuals for a total of $42 million
Mr. Scherffius is a multiengine- and instrument-credentialed pilot with thousands of hours of flight time and the experience of owning, maintaining, and operating a variety of planes over the years.
He is a member of the aviation practice group of the State Bar of Georgia, American Trial Lawyers Association and the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and maintains an AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
In addition to his experience with the specialty field of aviation, Mr. Scherffius is uniformly known and respected by lawyers locally and nationally, as well as by the courts. He has been asked by a variety of courts to represent individuals and his profession in numerous capacities.
- He was nominated and elected to membership in the American College of Trial Lawyers over 10 years.
- He has been honored as the trial lawyer of the year by the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association.
- At present he is serving, at the invitation of United States Supreme Court, as an attorney representative on the Advisory Committee on the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. In this capacity he has extensive contact with the federal district and appellate judiciary.
Areas of practice include:
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
Professional Associations and Memberships Include:
- State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Aviation Practice Group
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers Member
- Advisory Committee on the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
- Attorney Representative