Andrea Downing is an associate at Wade, Grimes, Friedman, Meinken & Leischner, PLLC, practicing employment law. Ms. Downing represents clients with employment law issues in federal and state courts, as well as in the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Merit Systems Protection Board. She also works with employers to prevent and remedy employment law claims that they may face. Ms. Downing actively litigates employment law claims, including those under:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act;
- The Equal Pay Act;
- Title IX of the Education Amendments;
- Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act;
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act;
- The Family and Medical Leave Act;
- The Fair Labor Standards Act;
- The Whistleblower Protection Act;
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act;
- The False Claims Act; and
- Common law wrongful discharge theories.
Before joining Wade, Grimes, Friedman, Meinken & Leischner PLLC, Ms. Downing worked for a boutique employment law firm, first as a law clerk during law school, then as an associate after graduation. Ms. Downing received her J.D. from George Mason University School of Law. While at George Mason, she participated in the Moot Court Board, the Trial Advocacy Association, and the Law and Mental Illness Legal Clinic. Ms. Downing grew up in rural upstate New York and moved to the Washington metropolitan area after graduating from the State University of New York at Plattsburgh with her B.A. Ms. Downing loves plants and gardening, agritourism, and exploring small and locally owned businesses.