Mazanec, Raskin & Ryder Co., L.P.A.
Todd M. Raskin
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Civil Rights & Government Liability
- Employment & Labor Law
- Professional Liability & Licensing
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
In 1980, Todd co-founded Mazanec, Raskin & Ryder Co., L.P.A. He served as the Managing Partner and President of the firm throughout its first twenty years. During that time, the firm grew from two attorneys to thirty, with offices in both Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Todd is a resident of the Cleveland office; however, his practice extends throughout the state of Ohio in state and federal courts, as well as before state and federal administrative agencies. Throughout his career, Todd has tried more than one hundred cases to conclusion. He has achieved success on behalf of his clients in the Ohio Supreme Court, as well as courts of appeals and trial courts throughout the state. Todd spends a lot of time in the federal courts; where he has successfully represented clients in the Sixth Circuit Court of appeals, as well as federal district courts throughout Ohio.
Todd’s practice includes:
DEFENSE OF PUBLIC ENTITIES, PUBLIC OFFICIALS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
Todd has represented public entities and those that work for them since the mid-1980s. He has successfully defended cases which claimed violations of the First, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution; including pursuit, excessive force, false arrest and imprisonment, jail suicide, malicious prosecution, wrongful death and police shootings. His experience also extends to the representation of public officials in the defense of zoning cases, administrative appeals and Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment takings claims. Todd is and has served as special litigation counsel to the City of Lorain, Village of Silver Lake, Northfield Center Township, and the City of Maple Heights. Todd has represented more than 50 public entities in Ohio throughout his legal career.
DEFENSE OF EMPLOYMENT CASES
Todd defends both public and private employers in all types of employment cases in Ohio state and federal courts, as well as federal and state agencies such as the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Todd primarily defends public entities and their public officials in employment cases involving issues such as hiring, tenure, terms of employment, promotion or failure to promote, termination, harassment based upon gender, race, age, national origin or handicap; as well as claims brought alleging violations of federal law such as the Family Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Todd also serves as national employment counsel.
REPRESENTATION AND DEFENSE OF INSURERS
Todd has successfully represented insurers in the defense and prosecution of declaratory judgment and bad faith actions in both state and federal courts throughout the state of Ohio. He has also served as statewide coverage counsel and has drafted coverage agreements and opinions on behalf of insurers.
DEFENSE OF PROFESSIONALS
Todd defends attorneys, doctors, nurses, mental health agencies and their employees, nursing homes and their employees, architects, psychologists, social workers, counselors, oral surgeons, dentists and insurance executives. This practice is almost exclusively in the state courts, and extends throughout the state. Todd is often called upon to defend professionals (particularly attorneys and nursing homes) throughout Ohio.
- Ohio, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2011
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1979
- Kent State University, B.S., 1972
- 2013 Best Lawyers Cleveland Civil Rights “Lawyer of the Year”
- 2014, 2013 & 2012 Best Lawyers selection – Civil Rights
- 2014, 2013 & 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated – Preeminent
- Invited Speaker, Employment Law: Ohio Political Subdivision Tort Liability Act
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Co-Chair – Trial Masters
- Vice-Chair – Trial Tactics Committee
- Admissions Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- American & Ohio Bar Associations
- Ohio & Cleveland Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Master Bencher, Cleveland Employment Law Inn of Court
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Life Member Judicial Conference United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- Former Chair and Vice-Chair, Certified Grievance Committee, Cleveland Bar Association