Todd is recognized by clients, the judiciary, elected officials, regulatory staff, and his peers for his high ethical standards, his detailed knowledge of land use regulations, and for delivery of successful results in a timely, predictable manner. His clients include commercial, residential and mixed-use real estate developers and builders, private schools and other not-for-profit organizations, and individual and business clients seeking to preserve and enhance the value of real estate assets.
Valued for his outstanding work ethic, client focus and responsiveness, and for the pragmatism and self-confidence that comes with thirty years of experience, Todd regularly guides individuals, local, regional and national clients and their teams of consultants through complex legislative, master plan, zoning, subdivision, site plan, forest conservation, historic preservation, and permitting processes. Todd works predominantly in Montgomery and Howard Counties and has performed due diligence investigations for clients and their lenders in Montgomery, Howard, Prince George’s and Charles Counties and in Washington, D.C.
Todd graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law with honors, has received Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating (highest level of professional excellence and ethical standards) and is recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer in Land Use and Zoning. He has held leadership positions in local Chambers of Commerce, Urban Advisory Boards and industry groups.
- Inventa Towers – Due diligence for the $70 million acquisition of the former Discovery Communications World Headquarters site and project plan and site plan approvals for the repositioning of this 554,000 square foot asset in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Downtown Bethesda Sector Plan – Represented multiple clients and properties in Master Plan, zoning text amendment and comprehensive rezoning resulting in substantial increase in allowable densities and building heights.
- YMCA of Metropolitan Washington, Bethesda-Chevy Chase – Conditional use approval for comprehensive site and building renovations for this long-standing community and social-service organization.
- Edgemoor, A Condominium – Piecemeal rezoning, development plan, subdivision and site plan approvals for a 10 story, luxury apartment building in Bethesda, Maryland.
- The Norwood School – Special exception and subdivision amendments for a 600 student, pre k-8th grade private educational institution in Potomac, Maryland including a 350-seat performing arts center, natatorium and community accessible educational and recreational programming.
- Silver Spring Park – Project plan, preliminary plan, site plan and zoning text amendment approvals for a 147,888 square foot mixed-use project in Downtown Silver Spring, Maryland containing a 110-room hotel, 58 multi-family dwelling units, 9,234 square feet of retail and 28,170 square feet of office uses.
- The National Labor College – Special exception and subdivision approvals for the 65,000 square foot Lane Kirkland Center conference facility, an 85-bed dormitory and a new dining facility in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Fairfield at Germantown – Project plan and preliminary plan approvals for a mixed-use project containing 604 apartment units, 210,000 square feet of retail and 40,000 square feet of office uses in Germantown, Maryland. Site plan approvals for the residential components.
- City Townes at Edgemoor – Zoning text amendment, piecemeal rezoning, development plan, subdivision and site plan approvals for a 29-unit luxury townhouse infill project in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Edgemoor Gardens – Piecemeal rezoning, development plan and site plan approvals for a 12-unit garden apartment building in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Bethesda Mews – Preliminary plan and site plan approvals, forest conservation variance and road code waivers for a 34-unit single family subdivision in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Downtown Columbia – Drafting and approval of the Downtown Columbia Master Plan, Downtown Redevelopment Zoning Regulations, Adequate Public Facilities Act, and other legislation for the mixed-use redevelopment of the Town Center of Columbia, Maryland. Master Plan and Zoning Authority has been obtained for an additional 14 million square feet of development, including 4.3 million square feet of office, 1.25 million square feet of retail, 6,244 residential units and 640 hotel rooms.
- Downtown Columbia – Drafting and approval of the Development Rights and Responsibilities Agreement (DRRA) that governs the redevelopment of Downtown Columbia.
- Downtown Columbia — Lakefront Neighborhood – Approval of the Lakefront North Final Development Plan, Design Guidelines and Neighborhood Documents for 200,000 square feet of office, 150,000 square feet of retail/restaurant/fitness uses and 775 dwelling units.
- Long Reach Village Center – Zoning Board (PDP) approval of the Long Reach Village Center Urban Renewal Project for 315 dwelling units and 134,000 square feet of commercial uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Lakefront Core Neighborhood – Final Development Plan, Approval of the Lakefront Core Design Guidelines and Neighborhood Documents for 509 multifamily dwelling units, 131,139 square feet of retail/restaurant and 320,411 square feet of office and other non-residential uses.
- Arbor Terrace Senior Housing – Developer Agreement and related land use issues for a 100-bed residential care facility in Fulton, Maryland.
- Downtown Columbia – Area 3 – Crescent Neighborhood – Site Development Plan approvals for 338,930 square feet of office uses, 140,887 square feet of retail/restaurant uses and 805 multifamily dwelling units.
- Downtown Columbia – Area 7 – Crescent Neighborhood – Final Development Plan approval for the New Cultural Center containing 112,346 square feet of cultural uses, including a new 360-seat dinner theatre and two black box theaters (450 seats), and 202 residential units.
- Downtown Columbia – Areas 1-4 – Crescent Neighborhood – Approval of the Crescent Neighborhood Final Development Plan, Design Guidelines and Neighborhood Documents for 4.8 million square feet of development including 2,300 residential units, 1.4 million square feet of office uses, 313,500 square feet of retail/restaurant uses, a 250-room hotel, and 225,000 square feet of cultural uses.
- Downtown Columbia – Merriweather One and Merriweather Two – Site Development Plan approvals for 322,031 square feet of office, 19,679 square feet of restaurant and 8,162 square feet of retail uses and an adjacent 9-level parking garage.
- Downtown Columbia – Warfield Neighborhood – Approval of the Warfield Neighborhood Documents and Design Guidelines for 2.8 million square feet of development, including 1,817 residential units, 359,878 square feet of retail and 117,400 square feet of office uses. Final Development Plan approval for 817 residential units and 76,098 square feet of retail uses.
- Downtown Columbia – The Metropolitan Downtown Columbia, Ten.M and m.flats – Site Development Plan approvals for 817 multifamily dwelling units, 41,025 square feet of retail, and structured parking within three mixed-use buildings.
- Downtown Columbia – Merriweather/Symphony Woods Neighborhood – Final Development Plan and Site Development Plan approvals for the renovation of Merriweather Post Pavilion.
- Wincopia Farms – Preliminary Equivalent Sketch Plan a