Thomas Cohn is a Partner in the Commercial Services group.
Tom focuses his practice on investment real estate and counsels clients on the planning, formation and growth of business entities.
Tom also concentrates on the purchase, sale and financing of commercial real estate, as well as mortgage lending on behalf of lenders and borrowers, secured financing and title issues. He frequently handles banking issues and workouts, real estate tax appeals, commercial leasing and environmental approvals. He also has extensive experience in counseling on the conversion of properties to condominiums and cooperatives and in commercial contract negotiations for the sale or purchase of businesses. Tom's practice also focuses on Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges of real property.
Prior to joining Coughlin Duffy, Tom was a Partner at Stern & Kilcullen, LLC.
- Represented related sellers in the successful sale of 3 large apartment complexes in Short Hills, Morristown and Highland Park, NJ, for a total of $150 million.
- Successfully represented the Seller in a multi-building package, including a large apartment complex located off of the Garden State Parkway (approximately 900 units); total of 4 properties sold for a price in excess of $210 million.
- Represented a New Jersey family in the purchasing, selling and refinancing of multiple apartment complexes in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
- Represented family members for multiple generations in all real estate matters, including sales, finances, and tax appeals.
- In November 2018, Coughlin Duffy LLP successfully completed a substantial transaction for our client, a popular and historic New Jersey hotel and venue, in a complex real estate agreement worth nearly $4M. The transaction took place between our client and a large technology company headquartered in New Jersey. The Agreement states that our client will refurbish the hotel, in partnership with the technology company. The assisting party, in return, is guaranteed special room rates for a three year period, provided by the hotel after renovations. Both parties consented to the final terms, noting, "thanks to all for your time, effort and partnership to complete the agreement," and that they were thankful for our firm’s “regular availability and valuable counsel”.