Michael P. Kuppersmith is a partner in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. He concentrates his practice in the area of commercial real estate law, with an emphasis on the leasing, acquisition, development and disposition of office, retail, residential and industrial properties, corporate facilities work, real estate financings, including construction, bridge and permanent financings, securitized financings and multiproperty secured revolving credit facilities, workouts involving distressed real estate assets, and the development and redevelopment of commercial properties. Mr. Kuppersmith has represented publicly traded real estate investment trusts, commercial and residential developers, office, retail, and industrial landlords and tenants, financial institutions and institutional investors on their real estate transactions around the country. He also has significant experience representing multinational corporations on their corporate facilities needs and in sports facilities work. Mr. Kuppersmith has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions in California. Representative transactions that Mr. Kuppersmith has acted as lead counsel on include:
- Representing the tenant on an 880,000 square foot build to suit transaction for a distribution center in New Jersey and a 600,000 square foot distribution center in Lebanon, Indiana.
- Representing a retail real estate investment trust on refinancings of major retail projects, generating loan proceeds in excess of $1,500,000,000 in 2008 and $2,000,000,000 in 2007.
- Representing the developer of a 300 acre mixed-used redevelopment project in San Francisco, California in connection with a series of land transfers between the developer, the City of San Francisco, Port of San Francisco and the State of California.
- Representing a multinational corporation and its subsidiaries on multiple office facilities leases involving more than 3,000,000 square feet of office space in locations throughout the United States, including Arizona, California, New York, Indiana, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and New Jersey and on sale/leaseback transactions.
- Negotiation of multiple anchor tenant leases with national retailers on behalf of a publicly traded retail real estate investment trust.
- Representing a publicly traded real estate investment trust on the acquisition, development, financing and refinancing of a 2,000,000 square foot retail center in Ontario, California.
- Representing a publicly traded real estate investment trust on the construction financing for a 1,200,000 square foot retail development project in Madrid, Spain.
- Representing a publicly traded real estate investment trust in connection with the $280,000,000 acquisition and financing of a 2,000,000 square foot retail project in Milpitas, California.
- Representing the developer in connection with a 150,000 square foot anchor office lease for an office building in Evanston, Illinois.
- Representing a financial index company in connection with its New York headquarters lease at Rockefeller Center.
- Representing the owner/ground lessee in connection with the restructuring of a long term ground lease covering 20 acres on Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, California, the development and financing of two new office buildings on the property and the lease-up of the project to three investment banks and Stanford University.
Mr. Kuppersmith has lectured on commercial leasing for Continuing Education of the Bar in California.