Margaret A. Brown is head of the firm’s Boston office and is the leader of the Boston-based Mergers and Acquisitions Group. She works on a wide variety of corporate and securities matters, including mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. Ms. Brown also counsels clients on a broad range of business-related matters, including directors’ duties and responsibilities and other aspects of corporate governance, disclosure issues, corporate compliance matters and internal investigations.
Notable transactions Ms. Brown has handled include representing:
- Boise Inc., a manufacturer of packaging products and paper, in its $1.3 billion acquisition by Packaging Corporation of America; and in several prior offerings of senior notes;
- OfficeMax Incorporated in its merger of equals with Office Depot, Inc.;
- Novell Inc. in the sale of its intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by Microsoft Corporation, and the subsequent acquisition of Novell by Attachmate Corporation;
- EMC Corporation as part of a consortium, including Apple Inc., Ericsson, Microsoft Corporation, Research In Motion Limited (now known as BlackBerry Limited) and Sony Corporation in their $4.5 billion acquisition of a patent portfolio from Nortel Networks Corporation;
- EMC Corporation in its acquisitions of Aveksa, Inc.; Isilon Systems, Inc.; Data Domain, Inc.; RSA Security Inc.; Internosis, Inc.; Rainfinity; Documentum, Inc.; VMware, Inc.; Softworks, Inc.; and Data General Corporation; and in its spin-off of McDATA Corporation;
- VMware, Inc., a software developer and a subsidiary of EMC Corporation, in its $1.26 billion acquisition of Nicira, Inc. and its $1.1 billion initial public offering of Class A common stock;
- Upromise, Inc. in its acquisition by SLM Corporation (commonly known as Sallie Mae);
- Spectrum Brands, Inc. (formerly Rayovac Corporation) in its debt financings of the acquisitions of United Industries Corporation and Remington Products Corporation;
- the special committee of the board of directors of Spectrum Brands, Inc. in Spectrum’s acquisition of United Industries Corporation;
- Boise Cascade Corporation in the sale of its paper and forest products businesses to an investor group led by Madison Dearborn Partners;
- Alpha Industries, Inc. in its acquisitions of the wireless communications business of Conexant Systems, Inc. and of Network Device Inc.;
- the underwriters in offerings by Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Critical Therapeutics, Inc. and others;
- Unitrode Corporation in its acquisition of Benchmarq Microelectronics, Inc. and its acquisition by Texas Instruments Incorporated; and
- Stratus Computer, Inc. in its acquisition by Ascend Communications, Inc. and thereafter Ascend Communications, Inc. in its acquisition by Lucent Technologies Inc.
Ms. Brown was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for her role advising EMC in its acquisition of Data Domain and The American Lawyer selected her as a “Dealmaker of the Year” for her work on VMware’s IPO. In addition, Ms. Brown has been selected as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2004 and The Best Lawyers in America since 2006. She also was selected for inclusion in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers in Business 2014. In addition, Ms. Brown was named Best Lawyers’ “2012 Boston Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year” and was recognized in the M&A category inIFLR1000. The International Law Office selected Ms. Brown as a winner of the 2013 ILO Client Choice Awards in recognition of her excellence in client service.