Joseph Guza empowers his union clients through the utilization of legal, organizing, and collective bargaining
strategies. Mr. Guza is passionately focused on serving his clients in all aspects of union-side labor law, including
corporate campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations, organizing drives, arbitrations, agency hearings (NLRB,
PERB, and others) and all related court proceedings.
Mr. Guza represents unions across the private, public and federal sectors, and regularly conducts steward training
seminars, as well as seminars covering general labor law and labor law in the construction industry. Mr. Guza also
counsels employee benefit fund trustees on collections and related matters.
In addition to his work with union clients, Mr. Guza works closely with members of the firm’s Personal Injury and
Workers’ Compensation Departments to help serve injured workers. He also counsels individuals and unions
regarding employment discrimination cases under Title VII and the NYS Human Rights Law, wage theft claims and
related employment matters.
Before attending SUNY Buffalo Law School, Mr. Guza worked as a dockman for a large northeastern
transportation company, an experience that kindled his passion for workers’ rights. In 2017, Mr. Guza was
appointed to the AFL-CIO WNY Area Labor Federation’s Judicial Endorsement Review Panel.
- “A Cure for Laryngitis: A First Amendment Challenge to the NLRA’s Ban on Secondary Picketing,” 59 Buff L.
Rev. 1267 (2011)
- “Secondary Picketing & the First Amendment,” LERA of WNY Law Night, March 2013
- Member, AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee
- Member, Labor & Employment Relations Association (LERA) of Western New York
- Member, AFL-CIO WNY ALF Judicial Endorsement Review Panel
- Member, Bar Association of Erie County
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Member, Coalition for Economic Justice
- Member, American Bar Association
- Favorable Appellate Decision against the NYS DOL on behalf of Buffalo building and construction trades union.
- Negotiated favorable first contract for 200 member independent union in Batavia, NY. (2016)
- Negotiated $1.4 million dollar settlement with delinquent contractor on behalf of Albany area building and
construction trades union and associated employee benefit funds. (2016)
- Collected over $600,000 in delinquent employee benefit fund contributions from contractor on behalf of
Buffalo area building and construction trades union and associated employee benefit funds. (2015)
- Collected $150,000 in delinquent employee benefit fund contributions from contractor on behalf of Rochester
area building and construction trades union and associated employee benefit funds. (2015)
- Successful campaign against nation-wide construction temp agency on behalf of Rochester area building and
construction trades union. (2015)
- Negotiated favorable first contract for railroad personnel transport drivers in Binghamton, NY. (2014)
- Negotiated favorable first contract for non-profit employees in Ithaca, NY. (2013)
- Negotiated favorable agreement for union representing VA professionals in Canandaigua, NY. (2013)