John P. Branham is a civil trial lawyer whose practice
focuses on business litigation and plaintiff’s personal injury litigation. In
the past, his trial practice included significant insurance defense
representation and legal malpractice defense. Before joining Bone McAllester
Norton, he was a founding partner of the Nashville firm of Branham & Day.
He has conducted numerous CLE programs, including for the Nashville Bar
Association, the Tennessee Bar Association,
the Nashville School of Law, the Tennessee Trial Lawyers
Association, PESI and the
National Business Institute.
John says he chose his practice area because he thought that
going to court was what lawyers did. “If I had known that you could really make
a living doing an office or transactional practice, I might not have been
inclined to take on the stress of trial work,” he says. Still, the stress paid
off, as today John is one of Nashville’s most wellrespected trial lawyers.
Despite his success and vast experience, John says he still gets “stage fright”
every time he enters a courtroom for a contested hearing. “Each case or motion
is the most important ever, and the fear of not doing a good job is
palpable,” he says.
On a personal level, John has four children, eight
grandchildren and two large dogs. When he’s not at the office, he’s probably at
his farm located south of Nashville in Bell Buckle.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Personal Injury Law
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1968
- Middle Tennessee State University, B.A., 1966
- AV© Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- 150 Best Lawyers, BusinessTN
Magazine, 2009 and 2010
- In Charge list, Nashville
- The Best Lawyers in America (15+ years)
- Best of the Bar, Nashville
Business Journal, 2007 and 2008
- Best Lawyers in Nashville, Nashville Post
- Nashville Bar Association: Former Director
- Nashville Bar Foundation: Fellow
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court: Charter Master
- American College of Trial Lawyers: Fellow