John B. Beard, shareholder in the Jackson office, has practiced in the areas of business and health care transactions for many years. His practice is focused on hospital/physician practice acquisitions, physician compensation and compensation models, hospital/physician alignment and affiliation structures, joint ventures and physician hospital organizations, mergers and acquisitions, health care tax exemption issues for hospitals, and other exempt organizations, private offerings and securities compliance matters, and corporate, limited liability company and partnership matters.
He has extensive experience with respect to tax exempt Health care organization matters. Mr. Beard's practice also includes business, tax, corporate and federal and state health care regulatory compliance matters for exempt, governmental or for-profit health care providers, including the Stark law, the Anti-Kickback law, civil monetary penalties, the corporate practice of medicine, provider-based facilities, and service line structures involving medical and radiation oncology, cardiology, neurosurgery, cardiovascular surgery, pulmonology, gastroenterology, nephrology, primary care physicians and multi-specialty clinics.
In addition, Mr. Beard has represented clients in federal and state civil and criminal tax controversies, including related litigation and appeals. Other areas of Mr. Beard's practice include analysis of antitrust matters for health care entities and employee benefit matters.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Author – "IRS Issues Governance Check Sheet for Examiners to Capture Data Regarding Tax-Exempt Organizations' Governance Practices," American Health Lawyers Association, Business Law & Governance Practice Group – Member Briefing (December 2009)
- Co-author – Corporate Governance Implications on Nonprofit Executive Compensation, First Edition, American Health Lawyers Association (February 2009)
- Lecturer and Author – "Tax Primer - The Basics of Tax-Exempt Status for Healthcare Organizations," American Health Lawyers Association member teleconference, Tax Issues for Healthcare Organizations Program (Washington D.C.) (September 2008)
- Author – "FASB Delays Application of FIN 48 for Nonpublic Entities," American Health Lawyers Association (Tax & Finance and Hospitals & Health Systems Practice Groups – Member Briefing) (February 2008)
- Lecturer and Author – "The Basics of Tax-Exempt Status for Healthcare Organizations," presented at Tax Issues for Healthcare Organizations, American Health Lawyers Association (Arlington, Virginia) (October 2007)
- Co-author – "Exempt Charitable Organizations: Recent Changes and Current Issues," American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA Corporate Governance Task Force – Member Briefing) (September 2007)
- Lecturer and Author – "The Basics of Tax Exempt Status for Healthcare Organizations." presented at Tax Issues for Healthcare Organizations, American Health Lawyers Association (Washington, D.C.) (September 2006)
- Lecturer – "Revenue Ruling 2004-51: Practical Implications for Nonprofits - A Roundtable Discussion," American Health Lawyers Association member teleconference (July 2004)
- Author – "IRS Approves Establishment of Physician Malpractice Reinsurance Subsidiary by Exempt Organization," American Health Lawyers Association Tax & Finance Newsletter, Volume 5, Issue 1 (Winter 2004)
- Co-author – "Carefirst Conversion: A Road Map for Non-Profit Corporate Responsibility" for the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA Member Briefing) (June 2003)