Joel N. Jacobson has been with the firm for more than thirty-five years and a member of the firm’s Management Committee since 1987. Joel is currently the chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
Joel’s practice focuses primarily on real estate and banking matters. His clients include a large number of banks and other financial institutions, a nationwide hotel owner, a fast food franchisee, private real estate investors and developers, court-appointed receivers and many non-real estate businesses with real estate needs. Work experience includes:
- Foreclosures, workouts and sales with respect to thousands of loans secured by a wide range of real estate assets, including shopping centers, commercial and residential construction projects, commercial office buildings, industrial buildings, mixed use properties, redevelopment projects, golf courses, tennis facilities, health care facilities, self-storage facilities, restaurants, catering facilities, gas stations and environmentally contaminated properties
- Purchase and sales of commercial loan portfolios and individual loans by banks and other financial institutions
- Representation of private investors and developers with respect to the acquisition, sale, financing, land use approvals, management and leasing of office and industrial buildings
- Representation of businesses in connection with a wide range of commercial real estate matters, including a 585,000 square foot warehouse lease, the lease of an FDA approved laboratory and purchase of the laboratory fixtures and equipment, and the purchase of a 250,000 square foot corporate headquarters
- Representation of court-appointed receivers selected by bank clients in connection with the management and disposition of real estate assets, including construction projects and environmentally contaminated properties
In 2011, Joel was named the “Newark Area Banking Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. He was the only banking law attorney accorded this honor in the State of New Jersey. Joel is also listed in the Banking Law section of the current issue of The Best Lawyers In America. He was also named by Real Estate New Jersey magazine as one of the state’s top real estate attorneys. Joel has received Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating, its highest lawyer rating, which serves as an objective indicator of a lawyer’s high ethical standards and legal knowledge.