Jennifer Hetu’s practice focuses on trademark law and brand protection. She advises businesses of all sizes on a wide range of trademark matters in the U.S. and international markets, collaborates with foreign law firms on worldwide trademark protection, and provides counseling regarding U.S. use and registration.
She also counsels businesses in the rapidly growing cannabis industry on how to navigate trademark protection strategies in the current landscape. She is a former trademark attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Jennifer’s practice includes:
- Searching and clearance: trademark clearance searches and opinions on availability of trademarks for use and registration in the U.S. and in foreign markets
- Adoption and use: advising on selection and suitability of trademarks for registration and proper use for packaging, labeling, and advertising and review and assessment of marketing materials, packaging, products, and logos to assure proper use of trademarks
- Prosecution: registration, maintenance, and renewal of trademarks; prosecution of trademark applications before the USPTO for U.S. and foreign clients, including trade dress, collective membership mark, and certification mark applications; prosecution of non-U.S. trademark applications, maintenance, and renewals using local counsel; and representing clients in proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Enforcement: enforcement actions involving trademarks and domain names; pre-litigation enforcement, including cease and desist letters, follow-up actions, and settlement agreements; representing clients in oppositions before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in foreign jurisdictions
- E-commerce: domain- and website-related investigations; challenging infringing domain names using alternative dispute resolution, including Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution (UDRP) actions
- Corporate transactions: intellectual property due diligence and transfers; recordation of security interests and assignments