Jim Coffey represents business clients in complex transactional matters. Jim provides practical legal advice to both public and private companies with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and strategic alliances, and venture capital and angel financings. Jim represents both borrowers and lenders in sophisticated commercial loan transactions, as well as in distressed situations. He frequently has served as lead counsel in corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, workouts, receiverships, assignments for the benefit of creditors, distressed asset sales and other complex corporate restructurings.
Jim has extensive experience providing strategic counsel to companies in all phases of transition, including start-ups and early stage development companies seeking angel funding, as well as fully mature businesses seeking insight on mergers, acquisitions and other exit strategies. Jim has broad based experience representing companies in a variety of business sectors. Working with clients in life sciences, health services, social networking, alternative energy, digital media, information technology, e-commerce and consumer products, Jim draws upon his extensive business background to provide pragmatic solutions to client problems.
- General Counsel to innovative HTPEM distributed energy company
- Counsel to prominent West Coast game developer
- Represented start up pharmaceutical company with operations in the U.S. and France in connection with financing and strategic partnership opportunities
- General Counsel to UAV software controls company
- Represented large regional lender in $40 million failed hotel/condominium development project in Nantucket, MA. Project listed as “Deal of the Week” by the Wall Street Journal.
- Advised international banking institution in high-profile receivership of WLNE, Channel 6, the Providence-based, ABC-affiliate television station
- Provided start-up and venture capital advice to life science company with research centers in the U.S. and Germany providing technology and scientific expertise for biotechnological and pharmaceutical companies. Coordinated all aspects of U.S. and European licensing and registration.
- Advised senior management in $100 million stock purchase of highly acclaimed, Mid-Atlantic telecommunications company. Negotiated stock purchase agreement, management retention agreements, and other transaction-related documents. Represented senior management on employment, confidentiality, non-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
- In connection with a change of control transaction, represented Boston-based capital advisory group in creating a phantom stock plan for its client, a privately held placement agency with $1 billion in annual revenues
- Lead Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel to Phylos, Inc., a venture-backed biopharmaceutical company. Company maintained research centers in the U.S. and Europe. Acquired via Section 363 sale by Compound Therapeutics (n/k/a Adnexus Therapeutics, Inc., a Bristol-Myers Squibb R&D company).
- Advised national IT consulting firm headquartered in Boston regarding major equity recapitalization and buyout of existing investors
- Successfully represented community bank in jury trial on spurious lender liability claims
- Lead counsel to buyout group in purchase of six weekly Boston-area newspapers resulting in creation of local weekly newspaper and media conglomerate
- Counsel to renowned Massachusetts specialized treatment center
- Argued bankruptcy appeals to the United States First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Lead bankruptcy counsel to local retailer in successful sale of $125 million business to prominent private equity group
- Principal bankruptcy trial counsel to national food market in connection with multimillion dollar lawsuit
RECOGNITION & INVOLVEMENT
Jim is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and in the IAM Patent 1000. Jim has also been recognized in a survey of his peers as a Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" by Law and Politics magazine. Jim is AV® rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer-review rating system, which, in conjunction with American Lawyer Media, also selected him as a 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Top Rated Lawyer.