Brody Wilkinson PC
James D. Funnell, Jr.
Jim Funnell's practice is limited to estate and trust planning, special needs planning for family members with disabilities, and estate and trust administration. Jim is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Estates and Probate Section of the Connecticut Bar Association. Jim is admitted to practice law in Connecticut and Texas.
Areas of Concentration:
- Estate Planning (Wills and Trusts)
- Special Needs Planning
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Fiduciary Practice
- Private Foundations and Charitable Giving
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel* (1998-present)
- Member of ACTEC Editorial Board (1998-2009)
- Member, Executive Committee, Estates & Probate Section of Connecticut Bar Association (1993-2014)
- Editor of the Connecticut Bar Association's Estates and Probate Newsletter,
a continuing legal education publication for Connecticut attorneys (1993-2014)
Publications and Presentations:
- Author, "Special Needs Trusts", Irrevocable Trusts 4th, 2016-2017, Thompson Reuters
- Co-Author, "Wills", Connecticut Lawyer's Deskbook, 2008 Edition, Connecticut Bar Association
- Author, "Wills", Connecticut Lawyer's Deskbook, 1998 Edition, Connecticut Bar Association
- Seminar: Choosing a Special Needs Trustee (11/02/2017); Seminar for Attorneys, Legal Education Seminar; PLAN of Connecticut
- Seminar: Special Needs Estate Planning for Families Who Have Children with Disabilities (01/24/2017);
Fairfield County Bar Association, Legal Education Seminar
- Seminar: Special Needs Trusts, Conservatorships, and Guardianships (01/14/2016);
National Alliance For The Mentally Ill (NAMI), Southwest Connecticut
- Seminar: Special Needs Trusts under 42 USC 1396p(d)(4)(A) (6/24/2015);
Probate Court Judges and Clerks - Continuing Professional Education
- Seminar: Special Needs Planning for a Family Member with a Disability (04/23/2015); Town of Fairfield School District
* Numerous additional Special Needs Seminars for groups, including the Connecticut Bar Association, Fairfield County Bar Association, Giant Steps, PLAN of Connecticut, Fairfield School District, Danbury Academy, Knights of Columbus, True North Financial, NAMI, Winston Prep.,
Personal and Community Involvement:
Jim lives in Redding, Connecticut, with his wife, Sally. They have two adult children.Jim was an avid rock climber for over 35 years. He now enjoys sailing and scuba diving.
Jim is an Eagle Scout, and was actively involved in Boy Scouting as an adult, having served as the Scoutmaster and Cubmaster in Redding, Connecticut.