Howard Williams primarily represents privately held companies and their shareholders. His practice includes representation in connection with corporate planning and tax strategies, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, complex tax issues, contract negotiation and document preparation.
Howard also advises on management incentive plans, employee stock ownership plans and corporate finance for closely held companies. He represents clients in tax disputes or controversies before the Internal Revenue Service and North Carolina Department of Revenue.
Before joining Brooks Pierce, Howard worked for the Office of Chief Counsel for the United States Treasury, Washington, D.C. as a tax specialist and litigator. He is a representative to the Southeastern Liaison Committee to the Internal Revenue Service.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in Tax Law and Tax Litigation and Controversy
- Recognized as a member of North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Business Law and Tax/Estate Planning (2008) by Business North Carolina magazine
- Named a North Carolina "Super Lawyer" in Business/Corporate Law (2007-17) in Law & Politics magazine
Professional & Community Activities
- Member At-Large, North Carolina Agricultural Finance Authority
- Member, Southeastern Region Liaison Committee, Internal Revenue Service
- Member, Board of Visitors, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Member, Board of Directors, North Carolina 4-H Endowment
- Former Member, Executive Board, Foundation for Greater Greensboro
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Greensboro Bar Association
- Member, Greensboro Kiwanis Club
- Co-Author, Sales & Use Tax Deskbook, American Bar Association