As the dynamics and challenges of labor
and employment matters increase, employers benefit from Liz's dual
specializations in Labor & Employment Law and in
Workers' Compensation Law. She counsels employers and management
in every aspect of employment law, including termination, handbook
preparation, discrimination and wrongful discharge claims, wage and hour
compliance, intentional tort, restrictive covenants, harassment,
training and investigation, record-keeping compliance, drug-free
workplace, Davis-Bacon compliance, OSHA, Medicare Set-Asides, labor
grievances, as well as FMLA and ADA compliance matters.
Liz is also responsible for the
oversight and management of workers' compensation matters on behalf of
employers. She handles administrative hearings involving
compensability, disability, occupational disease, wage issues, VSSRs,
and permanent total disability. She also advises employers in
non-compliance resolution and reinstatement of coverage.
Being the first woman attorney in
Ohio to distinguish herself with dual specialization certifications,
Liz's passion for providing clients the best possible solutions in labor
and employment matters is evident. She is a speaker on workplace
conduct and regularly authors articles for the business and legal
community on compliance with state and federal workplace requirements.
- Assisted large municipality for over
ten years with workplace compliance issues affecting over 35 separate
labor unions, including counseling labor relations managers with
disciplinary procedures that would avoid grievance and unfair labor
- Counseled various large manufacturing facilities on CBA compliance and recommendations for contract negotiations.
- Regularly conducts on-site HR audits for record-keeping compliance, property form utilization, postings and policies.
- Successfully settled multiple long-term
workers’ compensation matters with Medicare protection issues and
establishment of WCMSAs and structured payouts.
- Successfully defended Ohio plastics
manufacturer in allegations of workplace safety violations.
- Assisted Ohio manufacturing facility
with renegotiation of its labor contract, resulting in a five year
contract and dismissal of pending unfair labor practices against
- Prepared Amicus Curiae brief on behalf of non-profit organization concerning the rebuttable presumption in workers' compensation matters.
- Regularly conducts on-site harassment training and other workshops relating to management compliance.
- Assisted local foundry in compliance with WARN resulting from mass lay-offs.
- Successfully eliminated OSHA fines and citations assessed against a concrete company involving safety gears on a mixer.
- Mediated numerous employment disputes before the EEOC, in connection with litigation and with private mediators.
- Defended multiple employers on both sides of non-compete agreements.
- Represented clients in investigations involving wage and hour disputes.
- Defended clients before the NLRB on unfair labor practices charges.
- Handled well in excess of 5,000
workers’ compensation hearings including VSSR, handicap reimbursement,
rate challenges, fraud, permanent total disability, and occupational
- Handled innumerable unemployment compensation hearings, through common pleas court.
- Prepared numerous employment agreements including nondisclosure, non-compete, non-solicitation and severance.
- Audited multiple handbooks and record keeping policies and practices for employers.