Coe Ramsey is an entertainment lawyer with an emphasis in music, broadcast, communications, and media law. A former disc jockey, Coe represents radio and television stations, music-related businesses, musicians, artists, new media companies, and others in nearly every area of entertainment law.
A former mix show DJ for Greensboro radio station 102 JAMZ, Coe has a deep understanding of the complex legal problems that entertainment clients face. He has become a leading entertainment lawyer and counsels a variety of clients in a wide range of issues, including contract drafting and negotiation, music licensing, copyright, trademark, litigation, intellectual property disputes, advertising, privacy, and formation and financing of entertainment companies.
Coe's communications and media practice focuses on FCC regulatory, transactional, corporate and intellectual property (copyright and trademark) matters. Coe represents radio and television operators throughout the country. He counsels and advocates for his clients on a variety of issues, including buying and selling radio and television properties, FCC ownership rules and policies, broadcast licensing and renewals, programming issues, cable and satellite carriage, political advertising, and music licensing. Coe also works with new media companies, including Internet broadcasters, digital networks, and app developers, and assists them on a variety of issues, including content acquisition and protection, licensing, privacy, terms and conditions, and digital advertising and promotions.
Presentations & Publications
- Co-presenter (with Amanda Whorton), "New Era in Music Licensing: The Music Modernization Act," UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, February 2019
- Panelist, legal concerns in music industry, "ANGLES: A Music Business Panel Discussion Series," Raleigh, NC, February 2018
- Author, "Music Licensing Databases? The Transparency in Music Licensing Ownership Act and ASCAP/BMI," The Licensing Journal, September 2017
- Co-presenter, "Legal Obligations When Broadcasting Live Performances," International Bluegrass Music Association's Business Conference, Raleigh, NC, September 2017
- Co-presenter, music law basics and band formation, Bobbit Inn of Court Meeting, Charlotte, NC, January 2017
- Presenter, "Give the People What They Want: Playing Covers with Dignity," DIY Musician's Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2016
- Presenter, "Current Music Licensing Issues Created by Streaming Services," 2016 World of Bluegrass Business Conference, International Bluegrass Music Association, Raleigh, NC, September 2016
- Presenter, "Band 101: Basics of Starting a Band," UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, Chapel Hill, NC, February 2016
- Presenter, "Band 101: So You Want to Start a Band," 2015 World of Bluegrass Business Conference, International Bluegrass Music Association, Raleigh, NC, September 2015
- Presenter, "Legal Q&As for DJs," 2015 DJ Expo, Atlantic City, NJ, August 2015
- Panelist, "License It and Collect!" Winter Music Conference, Miami, FL, March 2015
- Entertainment Law, CLE presentation for the UNC School of Law Annual Festival of Legal Learning, February 2015
- Panelist, “Royalties in the Modern Music Industry,” Fifth Annual Sports & Entertainment Law Symposium, Duke University Law School, January 2015